123 credits required for graduation
Bachelor of Science
The School of Business offers a Bachelor of Science B.S. degree in Management Information Systems. The Management Information Systems Major (B.S. in MIS) focuses on the interaction of people and technology in a business environment. MIS professionals study processes, analyze systems, configure software, and work with people across all business functions to deliver information technology systems that support organizational objectives. MIS majors have both technical expertise and the ability to communicate effectively, manage teams, and think critically to keep up with the evolution of business and IT on a global scale.
Students in the School of Business must meet all University admission, academic progression and graduation requirements. In addition, the Bachelor of Science degree has the following requirements:
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.25 in B.S. in MIS Major courses
- A minimum grade of C is required for all courses in the 60 hours program of study (i.e. Required Business Courses, Major Requirement and Elective Courses)
- A minimum of 12 semester hours completed in residence for the concentration
- MGMT 4700 , Strategic Management and MIS 4620 , Systems Analysis and Design for Managers, must be taken in residence
General Education Requirement (60 hours)
The primary objective of the general education requirements is to guarantee that all students seeking a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree will share a common body of knowledge drawn from a broad spectrum of subject areas.
Additional Requirements (3 hours)
The physical education requirement is comprised of one credit hours of Wellness and two credit hours of additional Physical Education courses.
Georgia law requires that each candidate for a degree demonstrate knowledge of the history and constitution on the United States and Georgia. These requirements may be met by receiving a passing grade in certain courses, or by passing the appropriate examination. the courses and the requirement(s) each course satisfies are as follows:
- HIST 2111 or HIST 2112 satisfies the Georgia and U.S. History requirement (if taken at a University System of Georgia institution)
- POLS 1101 satisfies the Georgia and U.S. Constitution requirement (if taken at a University System of Georgia institution)
- Students with transfer credit (HIST 2111 HIST 2112 or POLS 1101 ) from outside the University System of Georgia will need to contact the Testing Center regarding the legislative exams requirements.
Major Requirements (60 hours)
The major requirements consist of three areas of study: Required Business Courses, Major, and General Electives. The Required Business Courses are designed to ensure that students receiving the B.S. in MIS degree will share a common body of knowledge needed for a wide range of private and public sector organizations. Major courses allow students to delve further into areas of specialization. General Electives give students an opportunity to explore topics of interest.
Graduates with a B.S. in MIS degree will be able to:
1. Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
2. Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
3. Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
4. Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
5. Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
6. Support the delivery, use, and management of information systems within an information systems environment.
7. Utilize general business knowledge and analyze global business issues related to information systems.